June 28, 2012

She liked yellow

  Yesterday was the funeral of my mother in law. We still can't believe that she is gone. Such a strong woman... she had bad health for many years and somehow she always kept going, making the holidays special, having a smile on her face and loving every story about her grandchildren.

  We all had sunflowers pinned in our clothes, in her memory, as she loved the flower and had them in her house for decoration. One of her favorite paintings was the Van Gogh with the sunflowers.

  The day was sunny with a nice breeze, just the kind of weather that she loved; a big yellow butterfly visited to land on her bouquet, next to her photograph. She loved yellow. It was such a special moment, unfortunately no one had a camera ready. But it is an image that will stay with me.

 

Thanks for visiting and have a blessed day.

16 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman. When you mentioned her love of sunflowers and mentioned Van Gogh, I thought of the giant painting that was a special project for Goodland Kansas. You can see it from I-70. It's wonderful! I bet she would have enjoyed it, and maybe she did see it.

    Here's the url talking about the project and showing pictures of it going up.

    http://www.nwkansas.com/gldwebpages/vangogh.html

    Janet Fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly the painting she liked! Thanks for sharing the link :o)

      Delete
  2. so sorry to hear about your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure her spirit was in that butterfly. And capturing the image in your heart is more important than capturing it in pixels or on film. My sympathies to you and your family.
    Hugs,
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rinda. Yes, images in our heart are always with us and can't be lost like a paper could :o)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful share Martha :) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry for your loss. Hoping that the heaviness will be lifting soon. It is so hard to lose a loved one. Your post is a lovely tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts are with you. I'm not sure you ever really get used to it. My dad, who lived with us, passed away in December, and sometimes still I just can't believe he's really, really gone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we never do. My grandmothers are long gone and I still miss them, and I can still hear their voice in my memories. Sorry about your dad's passing.

      Delete
  7. I am sorry for your family's loss Martha. It sounded like a beautiful funeral, with all the sunflowers! Very special about the butterfly! Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Stacy, yes the weather helped a lot, and the flowers were beautiful; she also had many roses. She would've loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very sorry Martha. I bet she would have loved the sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for your loss. I think that the moment with the butterfly is very special even though there is no record of it, or maybe even more so because of that.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ all your comments! ~
. .Keep your paintbrush wet!