March 6, 2012

Planned vs Unplanned

As I select the Modigliani paintings I want to work on, I am planning and prepping. That made me think of his unplanned style. I am sure there was a sketch under the layers of painting, (Remember I posted a picture of one of his pencil drawings?) but every brush stroke feels very free and accidentally unplanned.
That is very hard to reproduce. And I have never been good at reproducing faithfully any art. I'm not great at following instructions either but that's another story ;o)

When I go totally without a plan in a painting, it is a scary path for me. It is less so than years ago, when I would freeze in front of a canvas, but now I know I can keep going at it till I like it, and if nothing else it can be a discovery of things I don't like hehehe
But at the same time, I do not like to have every aspect, shape and color totally planned because then I know I irremediably will obsess into details, and I have been trying to have a loose brush stroke and step away from realism. At least total realism.

Interesting link about copyright expiration HERE

This are the paintings I will be working on:





 
UPDATE: you can post a copy of your Modigliani post link in the button (top right) called "Modigliani". I will leave that button/tab for the challenge.
Check my available art and online classes get my newsletter

9 comments:

  1. Trust me...if more people were honest with one another we all go in blind when we start a new work. Be brave. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked my four paintings and blocked out the first one. I think this is going to be really fun!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see how you progress on this project:D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I'd like to see your inspired art from these. Your art is always beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds and looks wonderful, can not wait to see your process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you are going to have fun with this project. I was reading what you said about painting the master's paintings and that it's okay but that you can't sell them. I read some info on that and thought I would give you the link. Illustrator's, always sell prints of their work of famous artists. I think it is okay as long as it's not the exact image and that it was painted only by the person selling it. Here's the link to the place that explains about selling the artwork. I have plans on selling prints of my Mission Van Gogh series and in fact some of them are already at my Fine Art America web site.Check this site out. Have fun with your new project.

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071022105731AANP0vE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to check individualy in each artist. In some cases the family or someone else retains the rights, like a museum. I know that after so many years some images are for the general use, but I don't want to give the vage idea to go and copy anyone and sell and get someone in trouble. I rather fail in the safe side :o)
      Thanks for the link

      Delete
  8. Should be fun for you! Beautiful choices!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ all your comments! ~
. .Keep your paintbrush wet!