February 4, 2013

Richard III in 29 faces

My face for today is very special. A few weeks ago I was looking at old portraits, to admire the clothing and elements in the art. It is something I love to see, plus the style of working and painting centuries ago. I came across a portrait of Richard III and was fascinated by the colors and the background brushwork, very rough, at least in the images I found, compared to more later paintings, where everything is so smooth and velvety.
So for me, to read today that his skeleton was found and his DNA analyzed.... well, it is really exciting! What a coincidence!

 This is my sketch for today.... not so great, but maybe if I paint it it will look better:


This is my daughter's digital work. She had homework so she was in a hurry:

This is the image of Richard III:


Read more about the discovery HERE and if you like history, learn about his life HERE.
My fascination with history was a little seed well planted by my History teacher in sigh school, and I thank her for it, even if at the time it was a chore hehehe

More images below, click to see!
 

19 comments:

  1. It's an amazing story about the discovery of his bones. You picked a good face for today and you did a great job with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! I'm not quite happy with it, but maybe with color it will be ok

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed your and your daughter's faces. I've entered your 29 Faces 2013 challenge. Didn't know where to comment on the 29 Faces blog, but I added my link to the list of participants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commenting here is fine too; you can post under the regular posts, but not the Linky page. So happy that you are joining us!

      Delete
  3. I have been reading an Art History text for the past month or so and now I am addicted to learning more about the links between art and artists and the world history events that inspired them. I am now in the 17th century in Europe. Like you said most of the paintings were smooth and polished, but I have been pleased to discover that here and there were the rebels who painted their own way. They saw things differently and interpreted it as such. Long before the Impressionists banded together and changed the art world forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is awesome isn't it? So much to learn... and drool over! Some of the very old, still look like they were painting this year, which tells me, we either have not advance that much, or they were way beyond their time ;o)

      Delete
  4. Awesome art you do. I'm trying to do 29. We'll see. But at least happy to have found your blog. Linked here from Gloria. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you playing along Judie!

      Delete
  5. Watched a documentary last night about the dig...awesome! His grave was under a parking spot marked with an R lol...only in England :D Your portrait is fabulous :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so fascinating, that after so many years they found him, and the R is awesome!

      Delete
  6. I love history and i think you did a great job on his face and clothes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn't that amazing about the bones??? All over our news ;o) Your drawing is very impressive and I love your daughter's! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your comments on my blog. I have made the changes to the label and captcha settings as requested. I appreciate your help in updating my link. I'm really looking forward to participating in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your readers will be very happy without the captcha. I just hear good things after it is gone from a blog :oD

      Delete
  9. Beautiful picture of the king.
    What a cute kitty lol

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ all your comments! ~
. .Keep your paintbrush wet!